The Axios Delta is a relatively natural Mediterranean delta just next to Thessaloniki, Greece’s second largest city. The delta is now part of the European network of biological importance (Natura 2000), which means that Greece is legally obligated to maintain its natural values. In 2008-2009, FOS assisted the Management Authority – a multi-stakeholder platform for official decision-making – with the development of a strategic framework for action. The framework is well-anchored in Natura 2000 habitat and species obligations and includes prioritized strategies for threat abatement. The approach has sparked the interest of other Management Authorities in Greece. Local partners hope to work around the current economic situation and find ways to keep building capacity and planning for the adaptive management of Greek Natura 2000 sites.
- OS Self-Paced Tutorial on
- Designing Monitoring and Evaluation Approaches: An FOS How-To Guide on
- Using Results Chains to Improve Strategy Effectiveness: An FOS How-To Guide on
- Design Alternatives for Evaluating the Impact of Conservation Projects on
- Integrating development with conservation: A means to a conservation end, or a mean end to conservation? on